Wednesday, October 21

Freezing Corn

I'm not sure what happened, I started this post almost a month ago. It is long past helping anyone this year (maybe next year). With Jennie's encouragement, and some really awesome pictures, I decided to go ahead and finish this post...

9/25/2009

I literally had about 15 dozen ears of corn fresh picked out of the field show up on my door step last week!! I did the only reasonable thing I could do....Shooed my family out the door to start husking it. It only took us a little over 3 hours to get it husked, blanched, cut and bagged. I feel very fortunate to have so much food just fall into my lap this summer and to have the knowledge & capability to preserve it so we can eat it in the months to come. I told Doug, I hope this isn't Heavenly Father preparing us for some leaner months as we look for work! Anyway, this is how I did it....

1. You want to use fresh picked corn, the fresher the better. (I'll show you why as we get to the cutting it off the cob.)

2. Put a large pot on the stove, half full of water, on high heat to boiling.


3. The obvious...take the husks off the corn and as much of the silk (hair) as you can.




4. Once the water is boiling, put the corn in the water for 7-8 minutes.


5. Remove from boiling water and run cold water over it for a few minutes until it isn't hot anymore. I just threw mine in the sink and put my faucett on shower and rinsed them real good. You can use ice water, but as with the green beans I found the ice melts too fast, I can't keep up with it. I just use cold tap water.


6. Use an electric knife, or just a really sharp knife to cut the corn off the cob. (I don't have an electric one, and I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to stay in control of it, even if I did.) I try to get close to the cob, but not so close that I cut any of the cob off with the corn. Don't worry about "getting it all" you'll get it with the next step.


7. Once you go all the way around the cob cutting off the corn, then you flip the knife around, using the back side and scrape the cob with a good amount of force to pull the rest of the kernals out of the cob as well as all the "milk"! This shows just how fresh it is. The longer the corn sits on the cob after it's picked the cob absorbs this "milk" and it just isn't the same.



Doesn't that just look wonderful?!!
8. Bag the corn and freeze. Voila!

1 comment:

Jennie said...

I love this post!!!
I have very fond memories preserving corn with my mom. I never really understood why she scraped the cob after, now I understand!
It is true it is not the same without the "milk".