Saturday, March 14

Chicken Buffet Salad

So we are having a St. Patrick's Day party today and I volunteered to make something. I was asked to make a pasta salad and there is 60 people on the guest list. I found this recipe in the old Betty Crocker Cookbook and modified it a little.

12 cups (2 lbs.) cooked Ditalini Pasta
2 1/2 cups cut very small chicken
2 cups cooked peas
1/4 cup grated onion
2 1/2 cups mayonnaise
1 Tbsp salt
1 tsp pepper
Paprika
1/2 cup snipped parsley

Cooke Ditalini according to package directions. Drain and rinse with cold water.
Combine pasta, chicken, peas, and onion in a large bowl. Mix mayonnaise, salt and pepper; pour over pasta mixture and toss. Chill thoroughly. Garnish with parsley and paprika.
Serves 28 (1 1/4 cups each)

I thought that the serving sizes were rather large. Most people don't put 1 1/4 cups on their plates when it is a side dish, so for 60 people this should be fine.


The original recipe called for a lot more chicken, twice as much onion, and cucumbers instead of peas; however I didn't have any cucumbers (I love cucumbers). Even with peas it is a very tasty salad. Too bad I don't have a green bowl...and since I probably won't remember on the 17th...

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

No comments: