Tuesday, March 3

Honey Oat Bran Bread

Very good Bread!

A friend of mine sent me this bread recipe yesterday and I decided to try it today.

6 cups hot tap water
4 eggs
1 cup oil
1 1/2 cups honey
2 cups rolled oats-ground in blender
8 cups whole wheat flour
3 T yeast
3 T salt
3 T vital wheat gluten
6-8 (sometimes 9) cups white flour
3 T dough enhancer

Add water, eggs, oil, honey, oat flour and 8 cups whole wheat flour to Bosch mixing bowl (I have a Bosch. I'm sure you can use a Kitchenaid as well.) Mix to paste. Add yeast (I use the Saf-Instant yeast that you don't let rise first), salt and gluten. Add remaining flour one cup at a time until dough cleans the sides of the bowl. (For some the dough climbs up the mixer, so they end up pouring it out on the counter and finish adding the flour and kneading it by hand.) Knead 8 minutes. Then add 3 T dough enhancer and knead just till mixed through. Divide dough into 6 loaf pans and allow to raise until double in size. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until golden brown.

My Bosch while making the bread.

It turned out really well; however I do have a large Bosch so I didn't have to pull it out and knead it by hand. I also did not use the vital wheat gluten because I used bread flour for the white flour. Bread flour is higher in gluten content. I also only made four loaves and made the rest into rolls and Carmel sticky buns.

Right before the bread met the oven!

No comments: