Friday, July 31

Cinnamon French Toast

We have a new family favorite!

In an attempt to mimic Great Harvest Cinnamon Burst bread I purchased some mini cinnamon chips at Kitchen Kneads. I think I have come pretty close. I really think the only difference is that I refuse to make whole white bread.

First, I made Jennie's half and half white/wheat bread. I add about 1 1/2 cups chips (to taste) to the bread right before I take the dough out of my Bosch and put it in the pans.

**I keep my chips in the freezer so they are really cold and don't add them until you are right ready to pull it out of the mixer. The chips tend to melt into the dough the more the dough is handled because the dough is so warm. If you want the burst of cinnamon, you want the chips to be in tact as much as possible. It took me a little practise to get that effect, the bread still tastes great either way.

Then I got the idea to try the cinnamon bread as french toast, Voila, our new family favorite!!

I mix 5 eggs and add enough milk to make the mixture look a pale yellow. (Sorry I never measure, I'll try to remember the next time I make it.) Add a little salt and pepper and a dash of nutmeg. Dip the bread on both sides quickly, you want to coat but not "sog" the bread. Place on hot skillet. I cook mine between 325 and 350 degrees on my griddle. I found the cinnamon bread tends to want to fall apart because of the weight, I just used both hands to keep it in one piece, it will "fuse" back together as it cooks. Cook until golden brown and turn. Top with favorite toppings, syrup, jam, etc.

Enjoy!

No comments: