Friday, July 17

Tomatoe Tip

I was blog hopping this morning and found this great tip on storing tomatoes! I was amazed and thought I just had to share!! I can't wait to try it.

The Ups and Downs of Tomatoes
This information came from Cooks Magazine. Did you know that storing a tomato with it's stem side down prolongs it's shelf life? The magazine did a test by placing tomatoes on a counter and after one week, the stem side down tomato was still in perfect condition while the stem up side was shriveled and starting to mold. The conclusion was the stem allows moisture to escape and bacteria to enter, so placing the stem side down blocks this. They confirmed the test by covering the stems and leaving them up for one week, and the tomatoes stayed fresh.

They also have great information on sprouting all sorts of things, and lots of resources to visit on their side bar, might be a fun site to visit, I know I will!

No comments: