2 qrts bottled apples
1/2 to 3/4 Cup sugar
1 1/2 Tbs cornstarch
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground ginger
prepared Pie crust
for streusel top:
1 Cup flour
1/2 Cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
6 Tbs firm butter or margarine
1/2 cup chopped nuts (opt.)
1. Drain apples in strainer in sink.
If streusel top pie, if double crust skip to step 3
2. In bowl mix together flour, b. sugar, & cinnamon, cut in butter/margarine. Add nuts if desired.
3. Put apples in bowl with sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon and ginger. Mix well.
4. Pour into prepared pie crust. (I like to put foil around outer edges of crust to protect from over browning.) Top with another crust, make slits to vent; or use streusel topping, lightly sprinkle on top.
5. Bake double crust at 425 for 50 to 60 minutes, and streusel top at 375 for 55 to 60 minutes.
Bake until filling is bubbly. Let cool for about 45 minutes before cutting.
We did make the streusel top for Thanksgiving this year, but I was so tired, after making pies all day, I didn't take any pics. They were very yummy, especially topped with vanilla ice cream!!