Saturday, August 27

Nana's Potato Salad (Large)

My grandmother use to work in a restaurant and anyone who tries her food loves it. That includes me! Last time I went to visit her I got her Potato Salad recipe. I had tried everything, but I finally have my favorite one!!!

8-12 potatoes (I usually use 12)
1 dozen eggs (set 3-4 aside)
2 celery stalks
1 Tbsp dried onion
Paprika (for shaking)

Boil eggs (about 10 minutes), peal and set aside. Boil Potatoes with skins (I use russet) allow to cool so you can touch them and peal off the skins. It is nice if the potatoes are still warm so the sauce will soak into them when applied.

Cut everything up into desired pieces and mix together, except 4 eggs and the paprika. If you feel like it, crumbled bacon tastes great in this!

Sauce or Dressing

1/2 cup flour
2/3 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp dry mustard
3/4 cup vinegar
3/4 - 1 cup water

Cook until slightly thickened, remove from heat and add 1 whipped egg.

Return to heat and keep whipping until it reaches the consistency of Lemon pie filling.

Remove from heat and add about 1/4 cup margarine.

Mix with equal parts mayonnaise. I usually guesstimate about 3/4 cup of dressing and 3/4 cup mayonnaise for this size of salad.

I usually use about half of the sauce so either 1/2 the recipe and use a really small egg or like I do save half of it for another salad!

Mix together. Slice the 4 remaining eggs place on top and sprinkle with Paprika.

No comments: